Friday, January 22, 2010

Plant something new this year!


Sometimes I get asked what I do all winter... well my friends, I think about spring. Like any good gardener I spend my time looking at seeds on-line and in catalogs, planning out what to plant where, and dreaming about how it is all going to taste!

I have seen a lot of different varieties of vegetables and fruits and I am always looking for things that kids might find fun to grow and eat. But sometimes, despite all the preparations, spring gets here too fast and becomes so busy that we all just end up just planting the same things that we always plant.

So, this year, my gardening friends, let's think ahead and plant something that we have never grown before.

I have put off writing this post because I have been trying hard to determine what new little veggie I might plant in my own garden. I finally decided (drum roll please)... French Sorrel. Those of you that have been to the Beanstalk might have tasted this sour green, but if not, you should think about growing some yourself. This spinach-like plant grows perky little green leaves Spring- Fall. These leaves have a lemony flavor and are great for snacking or mixing in salads.

So, I ask you, what new vegetable venture will you embark on this year?

Here are a few ideas...
-Sugar Snap Peas: sweet and fun to pick, little hands will pull these plump pea-filled pods so quickly from the vine that you might not ever bring one inside.
-Easter Egg Radishes: kudos to those of you who tried these colorful orbs of goodness after I suggested them last fall. I love these radishes because of their various bright colors, large size and milder taste.
-Raspberry plants: oh man, those of you who have the fall-bearing raspberries in your gardens have witnessed the squeals of delight as the kids pick the bright red fruit right off the plants and just pop them in their mouths... yummy!

Someday I am going to create one of those websites where you answer a bunch of questions about your personality and then a customized list of fruits and veggies you should plant pops up on your screen. Until then, think about the foods that you like to eat, but have maybe been shy about growing. Ask your students for suggestions and then help them research their ideas to see if they grow well in this area. Ask your friends what they grow in their gardens and see if anything sounds good to you. Or, you can ask me... I am always happy to give you some suggestions.

Let's be brave and all grow something new together. Chances are, with a little time and attention it will do just great and you and your students will be enjoying fun new produce from your schoolyard garden.



No comments:

Post a Comment